Thursday, April 2, 2015

Lots of Lifecycles!

Heads up...this will be a long post, but I wanted to catch you up on what has been happening in my classroom for the past 3 weeks! 

For the past three weeks we have been learning about life cycles. First we learned about insects. We read The Grouchy Ladybug. Then we made a grouchy ladybug and wrote about when we feel grouchy.

My kinders loved learning about all of them but especially the butterflies. We learned all about the life cycle of a butterfly through books and made an anchor chart together.

They wrote a mini book about the lifecycle of the butterfly and did an excellent job. Here are some pictures of one of my kinders' book:



Each child's book was different because they all told what they thought was most important during each stage of the life cycle of a butterfly.

At the end of the first week, they wrote about their favorite insect. I was amazed at how many different insects were chosen, but here is one:

For week 2, we learned about reptiles and amphibians. This was a favorite of all my kinders but especially my boys. They loved learning all about them. We made charts with pictures of the animals and which family they belong to:


Then together as a class, we wrote about what reptiles and amphibians are, can, have:

These charts really helped my kinders with their writing in their science journals. 

For week 3, we learned about the life cycle of chickens. My kinders wrote about what chickens can, have, are. 


My kinders used these charts from their science journals to do their writing about chickens. 

At the end of week 3, we read the book Chickens Aren't The Only Ones and my kinders were able to fully grasp that many animals lay eggs. They loved the book and learning the word OVIPAROUS! This is their writing after reading the book:



The past 3 weeks have been so exciting for my kinders and for me. They have loved doing informational writing and reading informational books and I have been amazed at how much they have learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 07 08 09 10
Pin It button on image hover